How to be a GW Giving Day Advocate
What is GW Giving Day?
GW Giving Day is a 24-hour fundraising campaign designed to increase philanthropic support for the university. GW alumni, parents, and friends are encouraged to make a gift on GW Giving Day to maximize collective philanthropic impact. What makes giving days successful at other universities and organizations across the country is the hard work of volunteers, like Giving Day Advocates.
What Does a Giving Day Advocate Do?
Giving Day Advocates are incredibly important volunteers. These advocates promote the awareness of Giving Day and the powerful effects of philanthropy on the everyday lives of GW students. By becoming an advocate and encouraging 5 alumni to make a gift, you are amplifying your impact and improving the lives of students for years to come.
A Giving Day Advocate:
- Raises awareness on social media by posting content and sharing with their networks to increase engagement
- Connects with GW friends, family, and/or friends via phone, email, text, and social media
- Makes a philanthropic gift of any amount meaningful to the advocate and encourages others to follow their example
How to Become an Advocate
- Sign up to be an advocate on the giving day platform
- Sign up for a Giving Day Advocate training session or watch a pre-recorded training session online
- Remain signed into your advocate account while conducting outreach to track progress
- Make a gift and consider offering a match or challenge gift to encourage others to give
- Ask five (5) fellow alumni and friends of GW to make a gift and share the campaign via social media, email, phone
We recommend reaching out and engaging with your network in a variety of ways:
- Share Giving Day on social media through your advocate account or use our toolkit
- Create a personal plea video and share it with your networks. The video can be shot with your phone and can take less than five minutes. After filming, head to your advocate tab and upload.
- Using the links from your advocate account, send personalized emails to help support the GW causes you are passionate about. Please feel free to use our email templates.
- Using your phone, text the campaign to possible donors.
- Consider calling or following up an email or text with a call to encourage people to make a gift. This approach is very effective and you can also ask the donor to become an advocate if the conversation goes well.
- Offer a match or challenge gift to encourage your network to give.
Saying Thank You
One of the most important things you can do is thank donors! No matter the size, every single gift is important to GW and the future of student success. If you solicit a contact and they make a gift, please take a moment to thank them for their generosity. Whether you call, text, email, or direct message, a thank you goes a long way!
Subject line: Save the date for GW’s Giving Day
Have you heard it's time for GW's annual Giving Day? Mark your calendars for April 6th, 2022, and make the decision to support the promising students of today and tomorrow.
I hope you will join me in making a gift to (insert school, college, or area of support) and help students raise higher and achieve more in 2022?
Please visit givingday.gwu.edu for more information!
Subject: Join me for GW Giving Day
Today is the day! I hope you will join me in making a gift during GW’s annual Giving Day. Whether you support student scholarships, academic programs, or (insert school/college/unit), we hope you make the decision to support GW students today and tomorrow.
Make your gift online here:
Together, we can raise higher for students and help them succeed and change the world.
Subject: Thank you for your gift to GW on Giving Day
Thank you so much for supporting GW students on our annual Giving Day! Your gift is a legacy that will impact generations to come, and we thank you for your generosity. Gifts from donors like you make our community stronger and help GW students achieve their academic goals.
Thank you and Raise high!
Social Media Sample Posts
Download social media art and graphics. Note: links are personalized and available through your advocacy account on GiveCampus.
GW is celebrating its annual Giving Day! Mark your calendars for April 6 and join me and so many other alumni in supporting the promising students of today and tomorrow. #GWGivingDay [LINK]
GW’s annual Giving Day is coming up on April 6! I hope you will join me in giving to ______ to help students raise higher and achieve more in 2022. Learn more → [LINK] #GWGivingDay
On April 6, I’m giving to _______ in honor of #GWGivingDay. When I was a student (explain the importance of where you’re giving meant to you). I want to ensure that future students have the same, if not better, experience that I did. Learn more about GW Giving Day → [LINK]
April 6 is the annual #GWGivingDay, and I’m giving to __________. (1-2 sentences on how important the area that you’re supporting is to you). Will you join me and so many other alumni by making a gift? Mark your calendar and learn more at [LINK]
TODAY is #GWGivingDay! Join me and so many other GW alumni in making a gift to _________ or any other part of GW that is important to you. Our collective support makes a world of difference for current students. [LINK]
I just gave to _________ for #GWGivingDay! Today, alumni from around the world are making a gift to make a collective impact on current students. This year has been difficult for many – join me and so many others by making a gift today: [LINK]
Today, I’m giving to _______ in honor of #GWGivingDay. When I was a student (explain the importance of where you’re giving meant to you). I want to ensure that future students have the same, if not better, experience that I did. Join me in giving today → [LINK]
Today is the first annual #GWGivingDay, and I’m giving to __________. (1-2 sentences on how important the area that you’re supporting is to you). Will you join me and so many other alumni by making a gift today? Our support ensures that GW students are set up for success in 2022 and beyond! [LINK]
General GW Giving Day Toolkit - This includes logos, social media shares, and other visuals.
Questions? Please contact [email protected].